Photography and The Medical Field
What is medical photography?
Medical photographers are individuals who have demonstrated artistic ability and detailed knowledge of various scientific processes. These skills and abilities are used in the documentation of scientific information that relates to medicine, chemistry, biology and other health related fields. They use state of the art photographic design software and computers to clarify complicated medical processes and concepts. Therefore, individuals who are interested in venturing into this field should be creative and detail oriented in order to communicate different ideas visually.
Purpose of medical photography
Since science is a logical and systemic study of the world, proper documentation of observations especially in medicine is vital primarily because improper recording of findings could lead to disastrous consequences due to improper diagnosis.
Photographic representations of various biological and medical subjects are used in exhibits, text books, pamphlets, criminal/civil/legal procedures, teaching models, and instructional films. They may also record the medical progress of a patient over time, document surgical procedures, or photograph an autopsy. One of the main functions of a medical photographer is to provide assistance in research and education. They make various prints of graphs and charts, digitize images and process photographs of various anatomical areas in order to increase understanding of different diseases and conditions that affect the human body.
What set of skills do you require to be a medical photographer?
· A medical photographer should possess good knowledge of essential photographic processes such as digital photography, special films, processing slides and video.
· Besides having an understanding of human anatomy, medical photographers must also possess technical expertise. They need to accept a high level of responsibility and use skills such as lighting and composition creatively in order to depict conditions effectively.
· You must also have a professional and sympathetic attitude especially when feeling with patients or family members who feel vulnerable.
· You must have good verbal and written communication skills as well as team working skills.
· Sometimes medical photographers may be required to work in roles with responsibility for various resources such as budgets, equipment and staff. Therefore, it is vital to possess leadership skills and the ability to use your initiative.
Medical photographers can be employed in various institutions in the medical field including medical schools, research organizations, hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturers, health organizations and advertising agencies. On the other hand, some are employed in part time positions and they can also work as freelance agents who contact out for their professional services.